Adult school of the chathams madison and freshauditionsdating
The area was named Chatham in 1773 in honor of the English Prime Minister, Sir William Pitt, Earl of Chatham.
Chatham citizens were staunch revolutionaries during the revolutionary war and troops were active in the area.
Chatham's reputation as a fine, healthy place to live brought a community of bustling tourist trade.
The trains that brought vacationers to Chatham also transported residents to city jobs.
The borough seceded from Chatham Township and incorporated as a borough in 1897.
Madison and Florham Park also seceded leaving Chatham Township at its present geographic size in 1900.
It is believed that the Lenape migrated from Canada and possibly Siberia in search of a warmer climate.
The Chatham Regional school system consistently ranks highly and the Library of the Chathams is a valuable resource to the residents.
Many outdoor recreational facilities are accessible to residents, such as, the National Wildlife Preserve (The Great Swamp) and the Morristown National Historical Park.
The New Jersey Legislature created Chatham Township from parts of Morris, Hanover, Florham Park, Madison and Chatham.
As Chatham Borough grew, the township form of government proved inadequate.
After the revolutionary war, in 1801, the Morris Turnpike was built connecting Elizabeth to Morristown through Springfield and Chatham.